On Thursday, August 14th I attended Hockey Night in Barrie which was held at the Barrie Molson Centre, home of the Barrie Colts. This is a charity hockey game held in Barrie every year to support the Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre (RVH http://www.rvh.on.ca/) a local hospital right here in Barrie. On hand were several NHL stars from the past and present, celebrities from television and music and more!
The event was not only entertaining but it was a huge success. Each year, Patrick Brown (Barrie MP) finds a way to make this event bigger and better. Not only for the fans, but for the cause. Again, the event topped its highest total of money raised bringing in a total of $251,000! (last year they raised $250,000) It was also announced that over all 7 events they have raised over $1.4 million for RVH!
|(Picture courtesy of RVH Foundation Twitter)|
The Barrie Colts Allum team consisted of former Colts like Mark Scheifele, Tanner Pearson, Kyle Clifford and others while the NHL All-Stars had Derek Roy, Steve Downie, James Neal and others!
Both Aaron Ekblad and Steven Stamkos were at the event but did not play. Ekblad, as we know suffered a concussion over seas in a pre-tournament game for the 2015 World Juniors, and Stamkos was said to be fighting an injury as well. The injury was not disclosed.
Here is the entire lineup.
- Steven Stamkos (Tampa Bay Lightning)
- James Neal (Nashville Predators)
- Aaron Ekblad (Barrie Colts, Florida Panthers 1st overall draft pick)
- Mark Scheifele (Winnipeg Jets, Colts Alum)
- Cody Hodgson (Buffalo Sabres)
- Mike Gartner (Former Leaf, Coyote, Ranger, Star and Capital)
- Richard Clune (Nashville Predators, Colts Alum)
- Steve Downie (Pittsburgh Penguins)
- Connor McDavid (Eerie Otters)
- Tanner Pearson (LA Kings, Colts Alum)
- Kyle Clifford (LA Kings, Colts Alum)
- Derek Roy (St. Louis Blues)
- Drew MacIntyre (Carolina Hurricanes)
- Dan Maloney (former Blackhawk, King, Red wing and Maple Leaf)
- Michael Hutchinson (Winnipeg Jets)
- Chris Tanev (Vancouver Canucks)
- Dalton Prout (Columbus Blue Jackets, Colts Alum)
- Shayne Corson (former Canadien, Stars, Oiler, Blue and Maple Leafs)
- Darcy Tucker (former Canadien, Leaf, Lightning and Avalanche)
- Dale Hawerchuk (Colts Head Coach; former Jet, Sabre, Blue and Flyer)
- Gary Leeman (former Leaf, Canadien, Canuck, Flame and Blue)
- Troy Crowder (former Devil, Red Wing, King and Canuck)
- Kris King (Former Leaf and Jet)
- Anthony Camara (Colt Alum)
- Bernie Nicholls (Former King)
- Norm Ezekiel (Colt Alum)
- Sami Jo Small (Canadian Wonem's team; 5 time World Champion and co-founder of CWHL)
Though it seemed the game would be a blow out, it ended pretty close with the Colts Alum team getting the win.
Though they won the game on the score board, it was the Fans in attendance and the RVH that came out the real winners.
Thank you to Patrick Brown, the Barrie Colts, the people who worked hard to make this event possible and all the players who took time out of their busy schedule to help a great cause!
Here are some pictures we took at the game. Some are good, some are bad. Enjoy